|McCall's M6706 Pleated Skirt|
So I picked my size and starting putting everything together. The first problem I ran into before I could even cut out my pattern pieces though is my fabric was too narrow for the pieces.
I knew this from the get go when I picked out my fabric, but I wanted the print sooo badly and accepted the challenge that came with narrow fabric. It took some manipulation because the print repeat wasn't perfect, but for my first time piecing together a print this wild and crazy, I'm pretty proud of myself.
Once everything was pieced, I then treated it as one piece of fabric and cut everything out. Where possible, I tried to hide the piecing seam in a box pleat on the waistband. The instructions for this skirt and putting it together were a breeze. The part that probably took the longest outside of piecing was hand sewing the waistband in. I also added 3" of material to the hem since I'm a bit long legged and I prefer longer hems anyway.
So I got everything put together no problem, and tried the skirt on.
Yes, super cute, but despite multiple measurements, the skirt was huge on me.
Well back to the drawing board as they say. Yes, I should have done a mock-up, but I was pretty certain on my measurements. So I re-measured, re-pieced, and re-cut everything, this time going a size down on the pattern. This did the trick! And now the finished piece!
It has survived a trip through the wash already too to remove any chalk markings, so it is nice sound piece that I'm looking to have some fun wearing this summer!
* * *
Pattern: McCall's M6706, view D
Alterations: additional 3" added to the hem
Materials: cotton shirting fabric, lightweight fusible interfacing for the waistband
Notions: poly thread, matching zipper, bar closures