Monday, February 16, 2015

Corded Regency Stays

So I've finally started my first sewing project of the year. Long ago I bought some fabric to make a new Regency dress. In order to get started on it though, I first had to make myself a new pair of stays. This is an endeavor I set out to do last spring, but never got around to starting at that time.
Future dress plans

As a reminder, I did make some half-stays, but wasn't wholly satisfied with the fit and design. I finally pulled out my Laughing Moon Regency and Romantic Era Corset pattern (#115) and started reading through the directions (there's a lot of material).

Monday, February 9, 2015

Shakespeare and Mermaids

So I got not one but TWO of my cross stitch projects finished within the last couple of weeks.

The first, Mermaid of the South Seas, turned out pretty spectacular. All the colors and beads pulled it together nicely and I really wish I had to place to hang it! So it goes into the finished bin for now until that time.
The next piece I finished was The Kiss, aka Romeo and Juliet. I started this one back in 2010 right after Jenna told me she'd gotten engaged. The original was done in pink and olive tones, which I switched to purple and green. The only reason it took so long to finish was I didn't have a date to stitch on the bottom. Of course I was able to finally get one last fall, but dress sewing kept me too busy to put it on at that. It's finally finished though, so off to the framer's next week!