Friday, October 24, 2014

Wonderland Wedding Homestretch

Only a week left and there's still so much to do!

Thankfully Jenna's dress is one bias strip and three pieces of lace away from being finished (So. Much. Hand sewing). Since she is the bride, her dress has always been at the top of the priority list.

Mine on the other hand... Yeah that's a different story. Right now, I still have to
  • attach sleeves to bodice
  • line said bodice and finish seams
  • add heart cutouts to skirt hem
  • finish bias edges on my corset
  • modify a hair accessory for the outfit
Four days of mayhem, coming right up. Because the wedding is in Louisiana, all - ALL - of the machine work has to be done before I get on the plane next Wednesday. Airlines are a little finicky about taking your sewing machine on the plane with you.

In the meantime, here's how my bodice has been progressing.

Because of the black and red color story, things were a little crazy while cutting out pieces. Not only did I have five separate fabrics to work with, I had to re-pin everything five times as well. Needless to say your project can seem a bit daunting when all you have to look at is this:
Lining, lining, interlining, outside, and outside. Yeah, it's a lot of pieces.
But with a bit of patience - which I'm sorely lacking right now - and sewing, it quickly turns into this:
All the bodice pieces sewn together. Yay!
And while sewing, I've learned that I really need to invest in bulk quantities of featherlite boning. I hate running to the store for more just because I need 1 yard of it.

The sleeves for this are quite ridiculously over the top. Because my base pattern is for an 1890s bodice (TV490), I wanted it to have sleeves to go with it. I pulled the 1890's Sleeve pattern (TV495) from my stash and used a modified version of View 4 with the flair. As mentioned in my heart bloomers post, I added ribbon along the flair to reflect my color scheme.
I also added some of my hearts from the pattern drew to the sleeves (just to make them that much more crazy).
And now I've got these giant white balloon thingies sitting on my sewing table.
Not sure how I feel about them right now, but due to lack of time, they'll have to work. Hopefully they'll look loads better once they're actually attached to the bodice.

No comments:

Post a Comment