Using my measurements, I then sketched out pattern pieces for the exterior and the lining of the reticule.
The one thing I found in the initial start-up is there is not a lot of descriptive information available about the original at LACMA outside of the dimensions. Based on the available pictures, the reticule is made up of three embroidered panels sewn together to form a triangular shaped purse. I cut pieces out of muslin then sewed everything together so make sure my measurements and pattern drafting had turned out the way I needed.
The one hitch I've ran into is that apparently small brown tassels are impossible to find. Every craft store I went to had small tassels in every other color and medium-length brown tassels, but no small ones. I couldn't even find a thread that I liked so that I could attempt homemade tassels. So I went for an alternative plan. Instead I bought a length of home decor trim with brown tassels...
And ended up with six tassels.
All things considered, I might look into this in the future for the simple reason that it only cost $2.50 for the length of trim and single tassels are about $2 apiece. Much cheaper overall.
I also started cleaning up the lace that I had bought from the store. The one gripe I have with craft store lace of any type is the edges are usually very uneven and choppy. So I grabbed my small scissors and started trimming away the extra netting. Oh what a difference it makes!
|Top - Untrimmed Edges, Bottom - Trimmed Edges|